Police officers and fans stand in front of the Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund, Germany, after it was announced that the Dortmund-Monaco match had been postponed for 24 hours. (AP photo)


DORTMUND, GERMANY – Three explosions went off near the team bus of Borussia Dortmund football club as it set off for a Champions League quarter-final match on Tuesday evening, injuring a player, authorities said.

It was unclear what caused the explosions ahead of the first-leg match between Dortmund and Monaco, which was later called off and rescheduled for Wednesday.

Read – Is it time to drive Islam out of Europe?

“According to what is currently known, the windows of the bus were (entirely or partly) smashed and one person was injured,” Dortmund police said in a said. The police said the incident happened in Hoechsten, located outside the city.

“It is not yet possible to say exactly what the explosion was or exactly where something exploded,” said the statement.

Dortmund said defender and Spanish international Marc Bartra had been taken to hospital.

Police added: “Currently there is no evidence of a threat to the visitors at the stadium.”

Borussia Dortmund said in a statement: “Shortly after the departure of the Borussia Dortmund team bus from the hotel to the stadium there was an incident.

“The bus has been damaged in two places. One person has been injured and is in the hospital. At this point we will inform as soon as we know more.”

Dortmund later said in a tweet that the match would go ahead on Wednesday at 1845 local time (1.45am Thursday, Thailand time) along with two other Champions League matches already scheduled.

-Reuters