A 15-year-old boy was slashed in the neck and right arm with a knife, then tied to a chair for about six hours in what police have reclassified as an attempted murder.
The incident came to light at about 1.15am on Wednesday when the victim’s mother returned to her home in Fanling and found her injured son locked up with his former schoolmate, aged 18, in one of the bedrooms. She discovered blood in the living room and made a police report.
Firefighters then broke into the bedroom and rescued the boy.
“Police sped to the scene, and after firemen forcibly opened the door of the room, found that the 15-year-old boy was tied to a chair with adhesive tape and had sustained serious and multiple injuries,” police said in a press release on Thursday morning.
A police source said the victim’s friend injured himself with the knife as firefighters broke into the locked room. He was arrested at the scene with minor cut wounds to the neck.
Both were taken conscious to Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin for treatment.
The victim was in critical condition on Wednesday. His condition had improved by Thursday but remained serious, according to a government spokeswoman.
The suspect, who was in a stable condition, was placed under police guard in the hospital’s custodial ward.
Preliminary investigations showed the suspect attacked the boy with a knife in the living room during a dispute shortly before 7pm on Tuesday, according to the source.
“After the attack, the injured boy was tied to a chair and locked inside the bedroom until his mother returned home,” he said.
It is understood that the suspect had became emotional because he was in love with the victim, who did not wish to see him.
Police initially considered this a wounding case, but reclassified it as attempted murder after further investigation.
On Thursday morning, the suspect remained detained in the hospital’s custodial ward and had not been charged. Detectives from Tai Po district crime squad are handling the case.
Police figures show there were 28 reports of homicide last year, a 27 per cent rise from 22 in 2015.
This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: Case of stabbed boy in chair treated as murder bid